10 Signs Your Home Needs A Rewire

Old, outdated or deteriorated wiring can be extremely dangers and can cause an electrical fault. This poses both a fire and electroction risk to your and your family. It's an easy situation to avoide, but most homeowners ignore the sighs until it's too late.

If you experiencing any of the following issues at your home, you need to get your wiring checked by a qualified electrician ASAP:

1. Fuses blowing regularly
Older style fuses are not designed to take the load of modern appliances so you definitely need to uprgrade them to modern circuit breakers.

2. Dimming or flickering lights
When lights brighten they are receiving too much voltage, when the are dimming they are receiving too little.

3. Charred or discoloured outlets or switches
A short caused by a loose connection or faulty wiring near the outlet or swtich results in arching and sparking which causes a small fire which leaves charring or discolouration on the surface of the outlet or switch.

4. Light bulbs burning out in their sockets
Fluctuating voltage can cuase this problem and can be an indication of a bigger problem with your wiring.

5. Burning smell
If you notice a burn smell and are unable to identify the sources, your wiring may be shorting behin your walls or under your floor.

6. Power fluctuations
In the very least, the fluctuations can cause damage to your expensive electronic and computer equipment.

7. Porcelain fuses
These pre-date modern circuit-breakers are obvious sign that wiring needs to be updated to conform with current electrical standards.

8. Out-dated cabling
If you see any of the following wiring combinations, they are more than 50 years old and do not comply with current safety standards. They are dangerous and need to be replaced immediately:  black nylon or rubber cable with no earth or single cottond sheath in metal conduit.

9. Arcs or sparks from an outlet when you plug or unplug a cord
This could be a problem with the individual ply or it could be a sympton of a bigger wiring problem.

10. Circuit breakers are tripping frequently
The job of a circuit breaker is to "trip" and cut off the electrical flow when a circuit exceeds the number of amps it is designed to handle. Faulty wiring and overloaded circuits can be reasons why this occurs.

Call us on 1300 761 024 or email us today yarraville@laserelectrical.com.au for an obligation FREE quote to take a look at the wiring in your home and make sure it's safe.

Simply fill out the form below and we will be in contact to arrange your electrical inspection.

* required fields


or